Saturday, November 26, 2016

26th Nov 2016 (今天我 – Jan Lam)

The song for today is “今天我” by Jan Lam. Jan is part of Soft Hard, but he had been working solo for a long time. The direct English translation of the title is “Today me”.

The lyrics of this song actually draws from many songs, these included “海闊天空”, “抗戰二十年”, “年少無知”, “光輝歲月”(I am surprise that I haven't wrote a post on this song yet as it is one of Beyond's signature songs. So this will be tomorrow's song :D ) and “無盡”. Apart from the last song, the rest were either sung or melody was written by members of Beyond. These songs are all about growing up. This song by Jan basically draw lyrics from these songs and connected them to form a new song that have a similar theme. Note that the phase “today me (今天我)” is the first lyrics of “海闊天空” and it is a very signature of the song, most people will instantly recognise the song just by these 3 (Chinese) words. The protagonist said: “Today Me, is singing today me. Tomorrow me, once again singing today me. Who haven’t given up the dreams in their heart. Then you and I have fought for twenty years. I started this endless journey, growing up in the glory days, hugging Ka Kui (the leader, the key vocal singer and the main song writer of Beyond. He is still a legend and remained in many people’s heart despite he had passed away over 20 years ago). I only know that live is a lead down, only knows that life is endless compromises. Oh no, oh no, oh no. Believe, believe, believe. How nice to be young, holding to my freedom in the storm. Dreams, who could have achieved. Today me. I have already started this endless journey, grew up in this glory days, keeping my dreams as wide as the sea and sky. Woo. I only know that live is a lead down, only knows that life is endless compromises. Oh no, oh no, oh no. Endless resistance, resisting to countdown. Believe, believe, believe. Continuing the beautiful living environment. How nice to be young, holding to my freedom in the storm. Dreams, who could have achieved. Today me. Oh no. Come and keep this living style. But who could keep it going all the way until they die. Staying on the road, oh no, oh no, oh no. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. Believe, believe, believe. Woo. How nice to be young, holding to my freedom in the storm. Dreams, who could have achieved. Today me. Today me. Today me. Opening my eyes. Today me, I am still singing today me. Tomorrow me, oh no.” I usually don’t like Jan’s song too much, but I found this one quite touching and I like the melody. So hope you will like it as much as I do.

Related posts:

今天我 – Jan Lam




1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sunny! Love Beyond and love HK, this is interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete