Thursday, August 2, 2012

2nd Aug 2012 (珍重 – Sally Yip)

The song that I chose for today is “珍重” by Sally Yip. I came across this song yesterday, and I found it very powerful, so I thought I should share my thought on this song on this blog. The direct English translation of the title is “value”, but the actual meaning of the title is “all the best”.

This song is about a pair of couple have to split apart because one of them have to sea. The protagonist can’t really let go of this relationship, she is crying about it and wishing that it will not happen. I guess newer generation is quite hard to imagine this feeling. Back at the time when this song came out (in 1990), it was very popular for people in Hong Kong to immigrate to other country because they were scare of becoming part of China. Of cause, back in those days, there were no internet, and long distance call was very expensive. The only way to get in tough cheaply is to send letter, but there are weeks of lead time and you don’t got to see the instant reaction. So leaving to another country back then pretty much means that most likely you will lose contact with that person. So this song really show that feeling, and it was very common back then for people to experience this as so many people in Hong Kong were immigrating to many different countries. I hope this song could bring back some of your old memory, and I hope you will enjoy it.


珍重 – Sally Yip

No comments:

Post a Comment