Monday, July 11, 2016

11th Jul 2016 (不來也不去 – Eason Chan)

The song for today is “不來也不去” by Eason Chan. This is a reader request. The direct English translation of the title is “Not come and not go”.

The lyrics of the song are quite abstract. So Instead of doing it the normal way, I think I will put some of my interpretation in bracket along the way to make things easier to understand. But this is only my interpretation of the lyrics, there could be things that missed and can changed the meaning completely. In general, I think the lyrics talks about a man who is thinking of his past relationship with his girlfriend that broke up with him. He no longer feels pain or sadness about this relationship, it just become a part of his history and memories. He said: “At the beginning, you were not in the crowd. I was myself, with the rest of the people. At the stop, I see the beauty through your smiley eyebrow. (This so far describe the protagonist meet his ex-girlfriend during some journey. Though I think that this is not an actual trip, perhaps just an indication of journey of life). During the return trip, you were wasted by the waves. Let the silhouette to sleep forever. Left me behind in the dirt to search for my backpack, until I found myself. (This talks about how they didn’t manage to travel together to the end. They broke up along the way. He got dumped and got very upset. But he is over it now, and he managed to put himself back together). Because of this, a spike grew on my palm, but without pain, I don’t care much about it. Let just think that we have our old relationship, but been through nothing together. (To me, it means that the protagonist felt that their relationship has left behind something in his heart. But he got no emotion toward these memories, so just let it be. So just treat it as things that had happened, but nothing was shared between them.) Like smoke, because I had handed you fire before. Like fire, but it never melted me. Looking back, could I treat my loses as gain? It can be painful and sad as a separating song or treat it as happy as a childhood song. Just like how you never arrived or left. (This talks about how the protagonist felt that their relationship had make a mark in their life, but their breakup didn’t destroy him. Now looking back, he can see this experience in a different way. He can choose whether they are good or bad. These memories are his and is no longer attached to his ex.) Regardless who was with me, the ending will still be the same. So that the blood will inherent the sadness and happiness. It is hard for anyone to avoid these, just happened that you were where it came from. (So he talked about how he thinks that even if he was with a different person, the same thing would have happened.) Before putting my  head down, I have no energy to get sad. Slept until I wake, so I have the strength to stand. Because I once have been blinded, so I can now see the fate moving fore and back, becoming me again. (He talked about how this experience make him manage to see things clearly and be himself again). Even if every life I would grow an extra spike, if it doesn’t hurt then don’t need to know about it. Just treat this as we have plots but no story. (So I think he is saying that if the relationship doesn’t hurt for life, then let it be. All that happened will just become history.) Like smoke, because I had handed you fire before. Like fire, but it never melted me. Looking back, could I treat my loses as gain? It can be painful and sad as a separating song or treat it as happy as a childhood song. Just like how you never arrived or left. Like flower, if it managed to become eternal, then it will have no fruit. If we can walk the same path again, then just treat what we had before as steps taken on a lake, can we? Not planting anything, not taking anything, just like that I never arrived nor left. (So I think he is saying just to let the past fade. It will not leave anything behind, as if he was never there).” Hope you will like the song.


不來也不去 – Eason Chan

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, V

      Hahaha, that just my interpretation. Like I said in older post, different people could understand the lyrics differently. I believe that there is no right or wrong interpretation, as what we understand tends to relate to what we have experienced :) After all, music is a form of art, it gets us to think, and that’s what I like about them :D

      The lyrics writer of this song is one of the Canton pop lyrics grand master (you will find that he write a lot of popular Canton pop’s lyrics, from the late 80’s to now), and these days he tends to write things less direct and very deep (hence why the lyrics are rather abstract). For the lyrics, I don’t think that the protagonist is emotionless, but rather he lifted the relationship to another level. Instead of tiding his memories to sadness and hatred, he released himself from these emotions. Managed to recognised that there are also good aspects in his relationship. The relationship is more like an incident to him now, he realised that he doesn’t need to view it in a particular way. Whether the memories are good or bad all depends on how he sees it, he can choose. And so now, he can face his past and ready to move on.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete