Wednesday, October 7, 2015

7th Oct 2015 (天意 – Ronald Cheng/Sad Engagement –金正民)

The song for today is “天意” by Ronald Cheng. I came across this song accidently today and I really like it. The direct English translation of the title is “Fate”. This is the Cantonese cover version of a Korean song by 金正民 called “Sad Engagement”. It is actually very rare back then to have a Korean song turn into a Cantonese song.

The lyrics of the song are about love. The protagonist said: “Thinking about the past with you in smile, it was fate that one day we meet. It was an accident that we meet, so it wasn’t that special. One day my heart lost it support, so you decided to stop me from keep losing. Thinking about the past with you in smile, we gained some and lose some. It was incident, so memories are so special. This day, I retaste the different incidents, and you also stay in the wind and rain with me. Do I know your truth intend? Even without thanks I know. I said that in my life there is only once that it was so exciting. From the start, I silently thank fate. From today to the end of my life, I wanted to hold your hand to cross the finish line. I even want to meet you in the next life. When I thought of today, I would remember that we promised to be together. Today to that day, I wanted to hold your hand to the finish line. I even want to meet you in the next life. When I thought of today, I would remember that we promised to be together.” As this song isn’t that popular, so I only managed to find a low quality version of the song to link to. Anyway, hope you will enjoy it.


天意 – Ronald Cheng


Sad Engagement –金正民

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction V. No wonder I was having a hard time searching for this on YouTube. Now all is fixed :D

    In Cantonese the two names pronounce the same, I guess that's why the place that I got this info from got it wrong in the first place. After a rough search, I think the title is also wrong lol It seems that some also translate the title to "Sad Promise", but I will leave that as is for now, as it seems to be ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. So I guess it is more like an informal engagement between the lover that are done mostly verbally. Seems like you know quite a lot of Asian language. Are you learning Korean and Chinese/Cantonese at the same time?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, hahaha, for some reason I thought you are from a pure English background, hahahaha

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete