Friday, March 13, 2015

13th Mar 2015 (風頭火勢 – Don Li and Mandy Chiang)

The song for today is “風頭火勢” by Don Li and Mandy Chiang. This is a reader request. Don and Mandy didn’t do too well separately as solo singers. When they were put together and form this combination, they actually made some noise, however it wasn’t long until the group die out. Personally I quite like the songs that they sung during this period, especially many of these songs are cover version of classic Cantonese songs. After these, the two of them sort of disappeared. Mandy now is living in Taiwan, having her own designer brand. Don on the other hand, had recently resurfaced. He produced his own album, one of the song was a classic Priscilla Chan song “傻女”. This cover version is horrible though, I wish I had never heard it as he managed to get his horrible version stuck in my head for days. But I guess he sing it that way to make noise, so that people knows that he is now back into making music. Anyway, back to the song, the title is a bit hard to translate, it is a Chinese phase, meaning “dangerous time”. If it is to translate directly, it means “Wind head, fire strength”.

The lyrics of the song are about love, it describe the relationship between a couple is at the point of breaking. I will represent Don’s line by “D:”, Mandy’s by “M:” and when they sing together “T:”. M: I noticed that there were something wrong, I felt that I am turning cool, there is less that we share with each other and we started to ignore each other. Tonight, your mobile start ringing, I started to suspected that you have fallen in love with someone else. D: I have to work day and night, working so hard for the future. You didn’t understand me but thought that I am planning something against you, breaking a few of my mobiles. Really, I think I am being very nice to you. M:I understand that your opposite sex friends aren’t bad. D: You are the one that like to argue. T: Perhaps you want to break up. Before I depart, I will tear your face apart. D: I know from early on that when wind added to fire, the unhappiness will just pile up and spread. M: Everyone knows it clearly, the faults from the past. But who would remember to do better to make up for the past. D: There is no need to blow wind and add fire to it. It is not T: But you still remember clearly who faults it was. M: You don’t seems to care about me anymore. I couldn’t tell whether you are tired or just sick of me, but it is surprising that I could put up with this. This half a month, you feel weird, perhaps you have started another relationship? D: You questioned everything, and I tried to accommodate all your request and never said to breakup. Found our other half, but we can still have our own freedom. It is weird that we have now fallen into this trap and you still don’t want to let go. M: You don’t seems to care about me anymore. I couldn’t tell whether you are tired or just sick of me, but it is surprising that I could put up with this. This half a month, you feel weird, perhaps you have started another relationship? D: You questioned everything, and I tried to accommodate all your request and never said to breakup. Don’t blame yourself, and heal your wound. T: Really, both you and I regret a bit. Hope you will like the song.


風頭火勢 – Don Li and Mandy Chiang

1 comment: