Monday, July 16, 2012

16th Jul 2012 (誰叫我 – Emil Chau)

The song that I chose for today is “誰叫我” by Emil Chau. Emil was once very famous in Hong Kong (around the early 90’s). He was born in Hong Kong, but later on went to Taiwan. He became popular in Taiwan first, so popular that even Hong Kong people knows him. As he was so popular, he also started his music career in Hong Kong. In the 90’s he was framed as the “Killer of the 4 kings of Canton Pop”, people see that he is as popular as the 4 kings of Canton pop. But in the late 90’s he stop producing Cantonese album, and slowly he was fading out of the Hong Kong music industry. The direct English translation of the song’s title is “Who called me”, while in contact of the lyrics, it actually means “Why”.

The lyrics is about questioning ourselves. The lyrics go like this: Why can’t I afford what I needed to pay for, why can’t I leave my busy work, why can’t I hold on to my happy feeling, this is such a fragile feeling. Why can’t I start the things that I planned, why can’t I leave the warmness of going home, why do I worry about the tiredness from romance, but when it is over I regret. Is it because I am an average guy? Is it because I fall in love too deep that the love turns to hate? Or should I blame the world for the fact that there is no perfection? Why do I felt cold when I was lonely, scare to speak up when I was in love and feel weak when I was in the dark? Please don’t tell me that average guys will always think too much. Who would wish to have love but lose ourselves and who likes to stay in the past but not to think of the future? I guess I just have to blame myself for releasing my anger when I was tired, get drunk when I lost myself and only to regain myself when everything was over. Please don’t tell me that I only think too much because I was bored. Why.

Above is pretty much the translation of the lyrics. I personally quite like the lyrics, it really get us thinking about life and why we act the way that we are. I also think that the song is quite positive by giving us a bad example of what’s happened if we just keep thinking about the past. I hope you will enjoy this song.
誰叫我 – Emil Chau



No comments:

Post a Comment