Sunday, August 24, 2014

24th Aug 2014 (酒杯敲鋼琴 – Joe Tay (Joe Cheng 鄭敬基) and Sarah Wong (黃寶欣) / 酒杯再敲琴 – Joe Tay (鄭敬基), Shimica Castro Wong (黃宇希) and Chun Tung Yu (余震東)/ 酒杯敲你頭 – Andrew Lam (林敏聰)/Lady Valentine – Monte Kristo)

The song for today is “酒杯敲鋼琴” by Joe Tay (Joe Cheng 鄭敬基) and Sarah Wong (黃寶欣). This is Joe's classic. This song is the Chinese cover version of "Lady Valentine" by Monte Kristo. This song was suggested by a fellow reader yesterday, coincidentally I heard the 2014 version ("酒杯再敲琴", translated as "Wine glass hit the piano again") of this song yesterday, so I guess I really should talk about it today. The 2014 version is sing by Joe, featuring Shimica Castro Wong (黃宇希) and Chun Tung Yu (余震東). The direct English translation of the title is “Wine glass hit the piano”. There is a funny version call “酒杯敲你頭” (“Wine glass hit your head”), the lyrics of this version was written by Andrew Lam (林敏聰), a very famous lyrics writer who written many hit songs in the 80’s and 90’s. The funny version was sung by Andrew as well (though from memory it should be sung with Eric Tsang (曾志偉) as well, as they used to host a funny show together on ATV, but YouTube only got Andrew’s solo version, so maybe I remember wrong).

The lyrics of “酒杯敲鋼琴” is about the male protagonist feeling sad and not feeling to talk about it, his girlfriend feels that this is going to affect their relationship. The lyrics sung by Joe would be marked by M:, by Sarah with F: and when they sung together, T:. T: Wine glass hit the piano. M: In my heart, there are many dreams. I wanted to make them real, but it felt like I am just keep making the wrong turn. No matter what I do, I just can’t find a way. T: Wine glass hit the piano. M: My heart is dull. F: Your heart is dull. M: Wanted you to save me. T: Wine glass hit the piano. M: My heart is dull. F: Your heart is dull. M: But I accepted it alone, hiding all my feelings. F: Not speaking make you feel tired. You face is like a ultra-heavy wooden ship. The low tone blues are locking your eyebrow. T: Wine glass hit the piano. F: You heart is singing alone; the sky is already darken. Could two people sing together, perhaps in the future? M: Stay away, let me be, let me cry. I’m a man, wouldn’t let you see me cry. T: Tonight is quiet, staying in lonely street. M: Wanted someone to support me, but I pretended to hate to ask for help as I am worry that others will laugh at me so I can only hide. F: Know that you are sad as you lean on my back. My lover is now like a rock, not willing to talk and close the door to the heart.

Hope you will like the song. I have also linked to the 2014 version, the funny version and the original English version below just so that you can feel how a song could evolve.

Other Sarah related posts:
2nd Nov 2014 (舊朋友 – Ram Chiang (蔣志光), Rita Carpio (韋綺姍), Chilam Cheung (張智霖), Maple Hui (許秋怡), Sarah Wong (黃寶欣) and 甘子輝)
30th Oct 2014 (說謊的東西 – Sarah Wong (黃寶欣)/I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor)



酒杯敲鋼琴 – Joe Tay (Joe Cheng 鄭敬基) and Sarah Wong (黃寶欣)


酒杯再敲琴 – Joe Tay (鄭敬基), Shimica Castro Wong (黃宇希) and Chun Tung Yu (余震東)


酒杯敲你頭 – Andrew Lam (林敏聰)

Lady Valentine – Monte Kristo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for Translating it!! I really appreciate it! Thanks!!

    Keep it up!

    Leon

    ReplyDelete